Monday 19 July 2010

Black Magic Cake!

I'm a regular visitor to a forum called The Student Room. A couple of other users there are keen bakers and we have decided to start a little society where we pick a recipe each month and try it out. The first was was called "Black Magic Cake" and the recipe can be found here : Black Magic Cake

I didn't acquire cup measurements until quite recently so I had to do a lot of the measurements simply on guesswork and googling. I followed the recipe and after what I thought was thorough greasing of my cake pans, divided the mixture into two pans and placed in the oven for around 30-40 minutes.

After doing a skewer test and the finger print test (touching the top of the cake with a fingertip, if the indentation stays then it needs to remain in longer, if the sponge bounces back up it's cooked) I took the pans out of the oven and allowed them to cool slightly.

When I came to take the cake out of the pans disaster struck. They wouldn't budge. At all. After some dodgy knife work, this is what I had to work with.



After some minor reconstructive surgery, I whipped up some Hummingbird vanilla frosting and sandwiched it together despite the cake falling apart.




It's really not the prettiest cake I've ever made but I thought it tasted okay. It was a little hit and miss with the family though. I think I'll have to try it again on my uni friends and grease and paper my pans a little more thoroughly!

Links to the other blogs : The White Cat Baker, Dulwich Munchies, Internet Gems, Sarah Cooks and Peachy Tarts

No comments:

Post a Comment